Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Blog Post #5

All of the videos provided to the students for EDM 310 this week all seemed to have something different to teach. The information in the iCurio video was new to me because had never heard of iCurio before. What I learned from it, and I am summarizing quite a bit, is that iCurio is almost like a search engine that is strictly for eductional purposes. It has different categories and ways to find information about very specific school topics. It almost reminds me of Alabama Virtual Library, which is what I was taught to use when I was in grade school. I plan on going online and checking out iCurio for myself sometime soon.
The Discovery Ed. video was a little more confusing. What I gained from it is that Discovery Ed. is a web based program available to teachers which seeks to combine class lectures with visual aids to further engage the students.
In the The Anthony-Strange List of Tips for Teachers Part 1 video, it gave a lot of tips to us. At the end it had many tips listed, I will not bore you by copying them down here because we have seen them all, but the one that I do want to focus on is the one about being flexible. Since I am just a Spohomore I have never taught in a classroom, but I have observed plently of them and informally assisted the teachers. It seems that in every one of those rooms something would go wrong mid-lesson. The internet would go out, the power would shut down, and most of all an administrator would come in fro a surprise evaluation. Each time without missing a beat, the teacher would quickly adjust their teaching style to accomdate for the disturbance. Dr. Strange and Mr. Capps are absolutly right, to be a teacher you have to be flexible.
The Use Tech Don't Teach it video was what I was expecting it to be. What they were saying is that students use technology is schools now, and the only way for to learn to use it is for them to spend time using it. A teacher cannot expect their students to successfully work with technology if they just tell them about it, it has to be a hands on learning experience.
Finally, from the Additional Thoughts about Lessons video, the main point that I learned was that when making lesson plans you have to think about everything. This includes everything from how you are going to grab your students attention to what you will be studying three months from then. It is a very involved area of teaching that demands much of the teacher's attention.
Education is a very involved field, and having a few tips from these videos will help me and I am sure the rest of the students in EDM 310.

3 comments:

  1. Hey Morgan!
    I am so glad I am not the only one who hasn't heard of iCurio. Just like you, I do plan on getting on it soon to see what it offers and what I can learn. I also agree that in the Discovery Ed video, neither explained what it was. But what we both gained from it is that it's a website teachers can use to show videos a long with lessons, but only for Science and Social Studies.
    Also, there were a few spelling errors, so just a reminder that after publishing go back and read it again to check for these! Overall, wonderful post! Keep up the great work!

    -Brittney

    ReplyDelete
  2. "What they were saying is that students use technology is schools now, and the only way for to learn to use it is for them to spend time using it. " Awkward. Rewrite.

    There is a long way to go to be a master teacher. Be prepared!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Morgan,

    Just like Brittney and yourself, I had never heard of iCurio before either. It sounds like an amazing tool that would allow our students to safely search the web for information pertaining to their interests. I also felt the same way about the lesson plan video. I knew that they were key components of teaching but I had no idea of the depth that we needed to go into when making them. One change I would recommend would be to put page breaks
    , after you finish writing about each video. It would break up your blog post into individual paragraphs concerning each video and make it a little easier to tell them apart when you are describing them. Another cool thing you could do is to hyperlink each video into your post so that visitors could click on it and see that particular video. Other than that this is a very well thought out and written post!

    Mitchell Lane

    ReplyDelete