Monday, March 17, 2014

Blog Post #9

After I watched the "First Graders in Mrs. Cassidy's Class" video, I got an idea for what technology use in elemetary classrooms looks like. They use a lot of the same tools that we, as college, students use. They skype, blog, and even get to use Nintendo DSs.

When I watched the "Interview with Kathy Cassidy Part 1" video, she stressed the importance of technology to young minds. For her it began when she recieved five PCs for her classroom, but the type of computers that they were prevented any software from being downloaded onto them. Not wanting to waste the computers, Mrs. Cassidy began to explore different ways to use the internet in the classroom. After a while this introduced her to Skype, blogging, Youtube, and much more. She used these in a way that would be fun and interesting for the students. She also says that if you ignore technology then you are hurting your students. I can vouch for this. I went to a math and science middle school yet they rarely had us use computers. Well I had never used one, and none of the teachers took the time to explain them to me. Because of this I did not become proficient with Microsoft Word, the most basic of computer programs, until my Freshman year of high school. When I am eventually teaching, I am sure one problem I will face is students who are not proficient with technology. Since I have been in their shoes I will be sure to take time with them so they will not feel overwhelmed and uninterested.

In "Interview with Kathy Cassidy Part 2", I like that she believes that how you interest technology should be through something you are interesting in. For instance, if you like writing, blogging may be the thing for you. If you like video, then Youtube and iMovie may be for you. This idea can go on and on. My Freshman year of high school I enrolled in a muli-media design course and learned everything from Microsoft Word to Photoshop. I like writing and I like pictures, so this was an easy class for me and the perfect way to introduce me to technology. I want to use this skill when I am teaching. I will find something that interests a student, then introduce them to technology using that thing that they like.

From "Interview with Kelly Cassidy Part 3" video, what I learned most about technology is that information is becoming much more collaborative. I have began to notice that most assignments and questions that are posed to students are much more open ended and therefore harder to copy. When a students looks at another student's blog, it does to necessarily mean they are trying to cheat, it may just be that they are lloking for guidance. It would be the same as one student asking another what he was wanting to do with his blog this week. This is what I am wanting to do in my classroom. If I can give assignments that are very open ended and could be somewhat left to the interpretation of the students. This gives the students a chance to collaborate so they are all on the same page, but at the same time each of their answers is different.

1 comment:

  1. Great Post! You have active links, pictures, correct grammar and stayed on topic. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete